Respect the Other Fan When You Can
As a Navy fan I do not hate Army. I respect Army. I respect their sports programs and I know their players, like Navy and like Air Force, are a group of over achievers who always give the maximum effort on and off the field.
Why are other rivalries not built this way? Why can't a Bama fan respect an Auburn fan for being loyal to their own program and no matter whay they think about the other school demonstrate the respect they want in return for being a Bama fan? Vice Versa also. Same for Red Sox and Yankees, OSU and Michigan, Georgia and Georgia Tech, Kentucky and Louisville. Wouldn't be great if the fans respected each other like Borg and Johnny Mc.
Because somehow, some way their are people that tie your fandom to intellect is the main reason I see this occur. One group is not smarter then the other or because one resides in a rural area and one is in the city does not mean squat. Let's face it you are allot of times born a fan of a team and it is rare that a fan evolves although it does happen.
Take me for example. I am a die hard St Louis Cardinal Fan. I was not always. In 1982 I was for the Brewers because I was a big fan of Robin Yount.
In the 70's I knew I hated the Yankees, somewhat influenced by my mom but I was not a Reds fan and my mom was for sure a big Reds Fan. I liked the Dodgers, because my grandfather did but a west coast team was just not for me. I loved the A's, because who does not like a winner and they A's were all of that in the 70's. I loved the Red Sox in 75, because of Fred Lynn, Jim Rice and Yaz and I always seemed to follow the Pirates because of Stargell and Dave Parker.
In 1985 my Lieutenant and one of my buddies I was serving with in the Navy were both Redbird fans and their early season discussion got me in the boat (pardon the pun) as to be honest baseball had become very secondary to me. Of course the 85 season for St Louis was a good one and even though it did end on a sour note I was now hooked. I never game the Redbirds any real consideration in the 70's, probably because that was a lost decade for the franchise but now that is my team period!
I was born a Kentucky fan. My mom and I always listened to both football and basketball games on the radio and of course UK had good teams in both sports in the 70's so it just never left me. I have to admit there was a time in the mid 80's while being stationed on the East Coast that I had become a big Duke fan but that was more of a dig at UNC then anything. I also was a U of L fan up until I moved to Louisville and after living here for a couple of years just grew to dislike members of their fan base based on comments and elitism they sometimes displayed. Of course it is not all of them but the I have reached a level of intellect by being a U of L fan over being a Kentucky fan is just ridiculous. At the end of the day they are just a bunch of rednecks just like the UK fans and IU fans and all three have their share of people who are completely over the top.
I of course became a Navy fan because of my service. No I did not go to the Academy but those people at the Academy represent the Naval Service on and off the field and their are always graduates each year who started out in the ranks for the enlisted men. I love the football team and I take their wins in ecstasy and losses in against just as I do the other teams I follow.
Lastly. Why am I and my brother both Bama Football fans? You know I have know idea. When we were kids we watched Bama and I always liked everything I read or heard about Bear Bryant. They also were winners and of course that never hurts. Although I do not take their losses as hard I am as into their game when watching or listening as I am UK, St Louis or Navy.
The point is at the end of the day get rid of the hate and respect that a person is a fan whether they are a fan of your school or not. Try when you can to take the high road when the fan of another team starts to dig at you because that does demonstrate a level of intelligence that the other fan or fan base may not demonstrate. If you cannot do that then just pretend the other fan base or team just does not exist. That seems to work the best for me as you cannot hate on something that does not exist. ;o)
Sounds good and it works some of the time but like all fans I have my point of no return. I do tweet some negatives from time to time but that is only after I have usually heard some comment that has set me off or recently read a Pat Forde article that is based on wishes and innuendo. Allot of the time it is also intended as humor but if you are on the other end that is not the humor you want to hear.
Every fan base has that guy, or that group and when a person is a fan base denies that they are just completely out of touch with reality.
Now that I have taken this all in I think that Joker just never had a chance at UK. He was to nice a guy, had been the guy the players looked to as a buddy and that is why it always makes it tough to go from the Lieutenant to the Captain.
Joker's style was just never going to make it at UK. Coach Brooks had some success playing this style but he had two teams that in my opinion very much underachieved because week in and week out that style for Kentucky is just not going to hold up in the SEC.
Joker wanted to play smash mouth football where you ran the ball and threw it when you needed and that is the opposite philosophy of what it takes at UK in the SEC. You must throw it and run the ball off the passing game by getting your skill players spaced properly by spreading the field and making sure you have allot of pace (no huddle, etc). UK is and was never just going to line up and blow an SEC team off the ball.
Joker also never established a defensive philosophy. UK's defense under Joker was bad, really bad and there was not stability on that side of the ball. This hurt Joker's tenure severely as it seemed to get worse and worse as things wore on through the Vandy game this year when it became obvious it was just over for Joker and hist staff.
Joker is a good position coach (I question his ability as a play caller based on some of the things I saw him do as OC) and he is in the right place to renew his career. Being the receivers coach at Florida is a good place to be and with some luck he can work his way into the OC role at some point. I still think Joker's ultimate destiny is to be and OC in the NFL where the pro style will work.
I wish the man allot of luck.
- Ohio State and Kansas busted my brackets.
- Just an awful tragedy with the U of L player who broke his leg. You never want to see something like that happen to a player ever!
- Tubby Smith left UK because he just was not the right type of personality for the program. Tubby was a good guy and a great coach but he just wanted to coach and it just takes a bit more at UK. I think Minnesota was a great place for Tubby and I think they made a mistake in firing him. However where is the media crying racism like they did when he resigned at UK? Tubby will have a banner hanging in the rafters at UK.
- Vitale. Your time has passed.
- I just don't get Mike and Mike or what the appeal is but for me that is ESPN in general. I am not in their target market cause I am old.
- I am just not surprised IU lost. To me Zeller was slow and the guard, #1 just did not look like a guy who was going to help lead that team to a championship. They were talented but just did not to me have that knock out power. It is yet to be seen to me as to whether or not Crean is the guy who takes that program back to a championship level. Cuse = bad match up for any team. I do feel bad for my boss and one of my buddies who is a big IU fan.
- There was supposed to be parity in college basketball and based on the Final Four I would have to say that is accurate statement.
- Just make a decision on the Anchored Putter and let's move on! I really have no opinion but I never feel like an opponent has an advantage with this style of putting.
- I may be one of only a few but I loved watching the WBC this time.
- Bama has had some off the field issues but I think that Saban has things under control there. To win three championships would just be amazing.
- Still taking in the Stoops thing. I still cannot believe UK got him and I think he has an aggressive and hungry staff. I have not been this excited going into a season for football since 2007 and 1977 (yes I knew UK was going to be good then even though I was only 13). The up tempo is what we need and that is where he is going with this team! We are not Bama we are Kentucky in football so you have to do something different to compete in the SEC.
- Ryan Harrow is making a good call. UK's program will have some stability in the next three years with their team and I feel pretty strong that Cal will lead UK to another Championship. Cal may return to the NBA at some point.